Mantis Bugtracker

Viewing Issue Advanced Details Jump to Notes ] View Simple ] Issue History ] Print ]
ID Category Severity Reproducibility Date Submitted Last Update
0007364 [Squeak] VM minor always 07-08-09 15:45 03-24-10 06:03
Reporter kbrown View Status public  
Assigned To johnmci
Priority normal Resolution open Platform Mac
Status assigned   OS OS X
Projection none   OS Version 10.5.7
ETA none Fixed in Version Product Version 3.10.2
  Product Build Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image
Summary 0007364: Copy to clipboard in Mac OS X sometimes doesn't paste properly into WorkSpace when running Squeak
Description I use Eudora 6.2.4 on Mac OS X 10.5.7 for email, if I copy something from Eudora, and try to paste into Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic running on Squeak, I just see o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o- This seems to be the result only before any copy is done in Squeak itself.

Contents of the clipboard look fine when viewed from the Finder by Edit/Show Clipboard.

Pasting same into Pharo0.1Core-10353 running on Squeak results in nothing at all showing up.
If I copy from BBEdit it shows up properly when pasted into Pharo or Squeak.

IIf I type something in the WorkSpace and copy it, then paste it back into the WorkSpace, it works. If I then go to Eudora in the operating System and copy some text, go back to Squeak and paste into the WorkSpace, the previously copied text from the WorkSpace gets pasted, not the latest text from Eudora. If I then go to BBEdit and copy and paste into the WorkSpace, I get the text from BBEdit in the WorkSpace. If I then copy some text again from Eudora and paste into the WorkSpace, I get the previously copied text from the WorkSpace, and not the text from either Eudora or BBEdit.
Steps To Reproduce Run Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image on Squeak and open a WorkSpace.
Create some text 'Eudora Text' in Eudora 6.2.4 select it and copy it. Do Finder Edit/Show Clipboard to see it is correctly there. Do paste into the Squeak WorkSpace, get o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o--o-
Type 'workspace text' into the WorkSpace and copy it. Paste it back into the WorkSpace, get 'workspace text' in the WorkSpace.
Copy the text 'Eudora Text' from Eudora again, paste into the WorkSpace, get 'workspace text'.
Create text 'BBEdit text' in BBEdit, copy it. Paste into the WorkSpace, get 'BBEdit text' in the WorkSpace.
Copy 'Eudora Text' from Eudora again, paste it into the WorkSpace, get 'workspace text'.
Additional Information It seems like the issue has to do with picking up the System clipboard when it has been written by Eudora, rather than text encoding issues unless it is something about the Eudora encoding causing the problem
Attached Files

- Relationships

- Notes
(0013167 - 207 - 207 - 207 - 207 - 207 - 207)
07-10-09 18:55

Apparently Eudora cannot handle UTF-8 so most likely is presently plain 8-bit text and the image running on Squeak does not recognize the system clipboard has anything on it and uses its own.
(0013168 - 201 - 213 - 213 - 213 - 213 - 213)
07-10-09 19:02

I test different combination of image and VM.
I found when I have two images, seems Squeak 4.1.1beta2U having his own clipboard.
This was independent of which image and previous Squeak VM works well.
(0013577 - 223 - 235 - 235 - 235 - 235 - 235)
03-24-10 06:03

Issue still present with Squeak4.1-9745-alpha, Squeak 4.2.3beta1U.ap, MacOS X 10.6.2.

Pasting works correctly if the copy from Eudora is first pasted into BBEdit, then copied again, then pasted into the Squeak Workspace.

- Issue History
Date Modified Username Field Change
07-08-09 15:45 kbrown New Issue
07-08-09 15:45 kbrown Status new => assigned
07-08-09 15:45 kbrown Assigned To  => lewis
07-08-09 17:01 KenCausey Assigned To lewis => johnmci
07-10-09 18:55 kbrown Note Added: 0013167
07-10-09 19:02 edgardec Note Added: 0013168
03-24-10 06:03 kbrown Note Added: 0013577

Mantis 1.0.8[^]
Copyright © 2000 - 2007 Mantis Group
46 total queries executed.
36 unique queries executed.
Powered by Mantis Bugtracker